The Microsoft Outlook mail client stores user data in two formats – OST and PST. The first one is remote and located on a separate program server, while the second is local and is located on the computer. For the most part, PST files are backups of all account data: various emails, people’s contacts, calendars, notes, and more.
Often there are instances where there is a saved PST file in some strange way, and you need to view its contents to find out the information in it to get this information. Well, MS Outlook isn’t at hand, or there are some problems with the file. In this case, the PST Viewer tool comes to the rescue – this interesting program will be discussed below.
When You Need to View PST Files Without Outlook
The main reason already stated is the absence of MS Outlook installed on the computer. For instance, if you want to purchase a licensed version and you don’t have enough funds for it (it costs about $ 141), but you do not want to download a pirate program. Or you simply don’t need Outlook for permanent use; all you have to do is to check the file data.
In addition, PST files do not open due to an unsuccessful attempt to recover information manually / through the accessibility features of Outlook, and an error may simply occur when opening. In this case, using third-party software is the only salvation. By the way, you cannot open PST through notepad.
Functionality and Advantages of the Program
The Recovery Toolbox‘s main product, which has the same name, is suitable not only for viewing / recovering PST files. In addition, a multifunctional tool copes with the conversion and search for deleted materials, which makes it indispensable for MS Outlook. Through this program, you can do the following things with PST:
- View healthy and damaged files without using Outlook, with the entire list of information available (notes, journal, important tasks, calendars, messages, and contacts).
- Evaluate content right in the program thanks to the preview – information is divided into categories and located conveniently not to confuse you.
- Recover deleted or lost files, and all the necessary information will be found, which can later be saved in the desired format so as not to lose.
- During saving, in addition to PST, you can specify a different format for the resulting file (EML, VCF, TXT, and MSG), each of which functions only in a specific program.
- Upload files in any quantity without size restrictions, the weight of the document can reach over 4 gigabytes, and when working with such large files, the utility does not hang.
Recovery Toolbox is capable of opening PSTs that are encrypted from other users and have passwords. PST Viewer will bypass the protection, so the information appears as if an unencrypted file is being used. The tool can only be used on any version of Microsoft Windows, so the offline version is not suitable for other systems.
It is worth mentioning separately that this program is a kind of Outlook file protector. There have been cases when scammers hacked mail accounts requested for a certain amount of money to be transferred, otherwise, the files would be deleted. With PST Viewer, you don’t have to worry about such a situation as viruses do not affect all files, and unhealthy files can be easily repaired in a couple of clicks.
Features of Use
To use the program, it is first downloaded through the official website. As mentioned earlier, the tool is complex for working with Outlook, so do not be surprised when you see additional functions during startup. It is important that the program is partially free – you are allowed to watch the files, and some restrictions will apply to saving.
You can also use a converter that converts OST files to PST or other desired formats in the future – this is very convenient when moving information from the server to the computer. To recover deleted or lost information, you should select the most recent item labeled “Find deleted files.”
Our goal is to view PST files, so the algorithm looks like this:
- Download the source file. When you run PST viewer, you will be asked to specify the file’s location that you want to view or recover from damage.
- Click on recovery mode. The window will display three main features of the recovery toolbox for Outlook: recovery, conversion, and search. Click on the very first function.
- Watch and leave the information you need. The Toolbox will display all available information in the file, categorized. The checkbox should mark the information to be copied.
- Choose a folder to save. When all objects are specified, you will be asked to select a save location (local or system drive, removable storage); this will not affect access to the file in any way.
- Specify the format for the file. If you want to save the file as PST for further use in MS Outlook, click on the first item; if you need to convert to another format, click on the second.
Upon completion of the copying, a detailed report will be presented, which will show the statistics of the performed recovery: time spent, number of files, new PST volume. With such simple actions, you can halve the weight of files – just remove unnecessary information that is no longer relevant and simply overload the document.
The Online Version of PST Viewer
Suppose you are a Mac owner. Android, iOS, or other OS, and you urgently need to open PST, but there is no Windows access, then make use of the Online PST Viewer. No installations, all you have to do is to go to this page and go through a few steps:
- Upload the source file to the service; you can do this from any device (computer, laptop, phone, and tablet). It will require you to enter your own email and go through the captcha.
- Wait until the PST opens, after which you will be able to preview the files – if this is enough, then you can close the page, but click on to restore.
- For the recovery process to take effect, the service must be paid for in the desired way (card, e-wallet, wire transfer, or PayPal).
PST recovery can take several seconds to tens of minutes, depending on the file size and server load. When everything is completed, the service will send a personalized URL link to download the file, which will be duplicated by a letter to the specified email address. You can download a new PST within ten days after recovery.
Other Similar Programs
Recovery Toolbox is called the best PST recovery and viewer, but several other programs are similar in functionality:
SysInfoTools PST File Viewer is a free and paid version of the program that allows you to view PST files. In the demo version, you will only see the headers, the time of receipt of the letter, and the sender’s contacts. SysInfoTools can boast with advanced search, history of actions, and the ability to open damaged files.
BitRecover PST Viewer – This software is only for reading files; they cannot be exported to other formats. The plus is that the content is available without any restrictions and is divided into understandable blocks. BitRecover works with small and large files, and also supports the resolution of all versions of Outlook.
Download PST Viewer
If you liked Recovery Toolbox, I recommend going to the download site – try the demo version, or buy a license with unlimited functionality. The free version is enough for one-time viewing, but if you need to use the tool regularly, make sure you buy it. In addition, the company’s prices are quite democratic.