When you’re starting a business, there are a lot of things you need to consider.
One of the most important decisions you’ll make is what type of hosting to use. Do you go with web hosting and email one? Or will you use two separate companies for them?
In this article, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of using the web and email hosting from the same provider. We will also try to help you decide which is best for your business. Keep reading to learn more!
There are many different types of web and email hosting services available. Let’s start with giving definitions to both of these things.
What is Web Hosting?
It is a service that allows you to keep your website on the internet. To access your web pages people don’t need to own them. As soon as they are published, they are open to any user. You can use such services as InMotion, iPage, and GoDaddy.
What is Email Hosting?
It is a service that allows you to send and receive e-letters using your own domain name. It looks like that: firstname.lastname@example.org. Some popular email hostings are HubSpot, Zoho Mail, Rackspace, etc.
Advantages of Using the Same Provider
There are a number of advantages to using the same company for both services. Let’s talk about them!
- It’s often cheaper. You don’t need to pay for two separate companies. Moreover, some companies offer to use several email accounts as a part of a shared package.
- It can be more convenient to use one provider for both services than it is to use two separate providers. You only have to deal with one company, and you only have to remember one login and password.
- You can often get discounts if you use the same company. Many of them offer discounts of up to 20% if you use their services for both. This can be a great way to save money, especially if you don’t have much of it.
- Using the same provider can help to keep your website and email address consistent. This can be important for branding purposes. In other cases, your website and address may look unprofessional.
- Using the same company can make it easier to manage your DNS (Domain Name System) records. It’s what allows people to find your website on the internet. If you use two different providers, you’ll have to update your DNS records twice as often. This can be a pain, and it’s one more thing you have to remember to do.
Disadvantages of Using the Same Company
Now that we’ve gone over the advantages, let’s take a look at the disadvantages. There are fewer of them but they still exist, and it’s important to consider them as well.
- If something goes wrong with your website, you might not be able to access your email. The opposite is also true, unfortunately. This can be a big problem if you rely on a website for your business.
- Web hostings are not built for sending emails. That means they are perfectly tailored for the servicing of web pages with a lot of fantastic features to pander to any possible whim of a business owner. However, they don’t cater to anything else.
- Using the same company can lead to more problems if you want to switch providers being unhappy with the service as it involves dealing with more issues at the same time.
Analyzing the advantages and disadvantages of both options carefully, you’ll be able to decide what’s best for your situation.
Which Option Suits Your Business Needs Best?
Let’s go through a few most typical situations. Imagine.
- You’re on a tight budget. In this case, using the same provider can be a great way to save money.
- You’re concerned about the branding. Using the same provider for web and email hosting keeps everything consistent.
- You’re worried about losing access if something goes wrong. In this case, it is better to use separate providers to keep everything up and running. If one service falls, another one will still be working.
- You need more space to keep your data. Again, two separate hostings will work just fine.
These are sensible tips for common situations that can also be useful in your case. Nevertheless, which option is the best depends solely on you and your business.
No matter which option you choose, make sure you do some prior research and choose a reputable company. There are a lot of great variants out there, and you should have no problem finding the one that meets your needs. To specify your criteria for selecting a provider and set up hosting today.