Anonymity is essential for many things we do through email. Our mailboxes contain a wide range of correspondence, from love letters to account confirmations. Only one thing is wrong: emails should provide two-way communication. Besides the sender’s address, the email contains a lot of information that could identify you.
Depending on how email providers format emails, you might find routing information. Getting this information might expose you to various problems. However, all is not lost! The following sections of this post explain how to send an anonymous email. Let’s dive in.
Use a VPN
Always use a VPN to send anonymous emails, regardless of how you do it. Here’s why:
- VPNs hide IP addresses: Your email might not contain your name, but your IP address will appear in the message. Someone can use the device’s IP address to locate, hack, and track your online activities. A VPN can protect your privacy by hiding your IP address and routing your traffic via an encrypted VPN server.
- VPNs hide your online activity: Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) tracks everything you do online and can hand it over to the authorities. A VPN service encrypts all your data and app traffic to stay secure online, preventing snooping ISPs and malicious actors from accessing it.
Make a New Email Account
You can send emails anonymously by creating a new email account. Gmail or Yahoo, for example, could allow you to create an email with false information. Make up a fake name, address, and date of birth, and do not provide a phone number.
However, it would help if you remembered these services will still monitor your online activity even with these precautions. Additionally, law enforcement agencies may also receive this information.
Using Disposable Email Accounts
Temporary, disposable accounts are an excellent option for those wishing to leave an as little trace as possible when sending one-off emails.
It remains active for about 24 hours (depending on the website). But after that time, all emails and attachments disappear. Since it has no password or login details, anyone with access to the address can visit and read the content; therefore, it remains on the site only for a short period.
Using Anonymous Operating Systems
Whether you use Windows 10, macOS, Android, or iOS, advertising companies and other online accounts may track your online activity. Using an anonymous operating system will ensure third-party apps do not track you.
Tails is one of many Linux distributions designed to be completely anonymous. You can boot any computer from a thumb drive containing Tails. It’ll erase your activities when you exit it.
Delete the Metadata
Metadata is “data about data.” While sending emails with attachments, especially those stored in Microsoft Word format or any other document, it would be helpful to remove any metadata included in the email message as a giveaway.
You can remove the Metadata from email attachments by:
- Right-clicking the file you are attaching with your email.
- Selecting “Properties.”
- Switching to the “Details” tab.
- Tapping on “Remove Properties and Personal Information.”
- Hitting the “Apply” button to save your changes.
There are various forms of anonymity, and email is no exception. It provides multiple benefits around data and personal information, privacy, and security. The options above present some of the best ways to send anonymous emails.