In recent times, more and more people are associating with Gmail for ease of use and advanced features such as security tools, search operators, and various add-ons. But Gmail can make your life even easier with the help of SMTP settings.
The Gmail SMTP server enables you to sync Gmail with other email clients and send emails from other email clients such as Outlook and Thunderbird. Not only this but by using the Gmail SMTP server you can email from the WordPress site.
How to Setup Gmail IMAP Settings
Beforehand, you need to configure and turn on IMAP settings. So, to turn on the IMAP settings follow the steps given below:
- Open your device and go to Gmail.
- Now, from the top-right corner open Settings and See All.
- Select Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- In the “IMAP access”, select Enable IMAP.
- Select Save Changes.
Gmail IMAP and POP Settings
|Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server||imap.gmail.comRequires SSL: YesPort: 993|
|Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server||smtp.gmail.comRequires SSL: YesRequires TLS: Yes (if available)Requires Authentication: YesPort for SSL: 465Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587|
|Full Name or Display Name||Your name|
|Account Name, User name, or Email address||Your full email address|
|Password||Your Gmail password|
How to Setup Gmail SMTP Settings
Here we are providing you the correct set of settings so that you can easily set up Gmail SMTP settings and set up a Gmail account with other email clients in a smooth manner. If you require help to update the Settings, you can even take help from Gmail’s Help Center to get the right instructions on IMAP.
How to Setup Gmail SMTP Server in Other Email Clients
The methods can vary for different clients for instance if you’re adding Gmail on iPhone.
We are here using Outlook for reference so that you can know Gmail can be set up on Outlook with an SMTP server.
- Go to Outlook Settings>>Mail>>POP and IMAP.
- Select More Settings>>Outgoing Server and enter the Gmail SMTP settings.
Gmail SMTP Settings
- SMTP username: Your Gmail address
- SMTP password: Your Gmail password
- SMTP server address: smtp.gmail.com
- Gmail SMTP port (TLS): 587
- SMTP port (SSL): 465
- SMTP TLS/SSL required: yes
You may also need to configure some other general additional Gmail SMTP settings to set up your account. See how you need to work with them:
- Requires SSL: Yes
- Requires TLS: Yes
- Requires authentication / Use authentication: Yes
- Requires secure connection / Use secure connection: Yes
After following the instructions and adding the email client on Gmail, you need to enter the email address and password for the email account you are adding. Then, you will see Gmail SMTP settings on your screen and you need to enter your information that is given above for SMTP settings.
If you feel that you are not able to find the aforementioned additional settings, you need to explore the Account Settings of your Gmail account because sometimes they do not appear automatically.
However, the sending limit of Gmail SMTP should be taken into account as it is set to control the amount of spam taking place on Gmail. For your information, only 500 emails can be sent per day, and that is more than enough for a regular user.
Using the information given above, you can very easily set up Gmail SMTP server settings, but we have also tried to answer some of the frequently asked questions below.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are Gmail POP and SMTP settings?
Ans. Gmail POP settings are:
- Incoming Mail Server (POP): pop.gmail.com
- Requires SSL: yes
- Port: 995
- Server timeouts: more than 1 minute (5 minutes is recommended)
- Display Name: your name
- Username: your Gmail account (email@example.com)
- Password: your Gmail password
And, SMTP settings for Gmail are given in the article.
2. What are the SMTP server settings for Gmail?
Ans. The correct settings for SMTP settings for Gmail are given above, in the “Gmail SMTP server” section.
3. What is my SMTP server address?
Ans. The Gmail server address for SMTP is smtp.gmail.com. You can sign-in with your Gmail email address and account password.